Homepage » Faculty

Department of Pharmacology

The Department of Pharmacology was founded in 1837 in the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. The Department started to shape in its current form under the direction of Professor George Ioakeimoglou (1887-1979) and Professor Dionysios Varonos (1929-2004). Since 1993 a considerable renovation of the department's infrastructure has taken place. Faculty members teach pharmacology to undergraduate Medical and Dentistry students and support the pharmacology teaching in Nursing School. They also contribute to postgraduate programs. In parallel, there is significant research output in different areas of Pharmacology. Research efforts involve basic biomedical science regarding the investigation of pathophysiological mechanisms of disease, investigation of new mechanisms of drug action and development of new therapeutic interventions.